I did the family’s taxes this afternoon, and it struck me that taxes have a lot in common with running a half marathon:
- Both take hours to complete.
- It goes better if you have lots of carbs to help you through it.
- At some point in the process I question my commitment, my sanity, and the parentage of the gear I am using.
- Something is going to chafe.
- My play list better be good.
- I get faster every time, but it’s still painful.
- I deserve a medal at the end.
- And despite everything, I’ll sign up to do it again next year.
It isn’t as fun, though. Maybe next year I’ll wear a technical t-shirt and a racing bib and see if that helps.